Founded as California’s first planned community in 1913 by E. G. Lewis, was incorporated in 1979. Atascadero was a “planned community” from the very beginning also known as “Atascadero Colony.”
Average high July to September is 93.9F, with an average low of 50.1F. Winter average low temperatures are 32.9F and highs of 61.2F. Average rainfall is 17.31 inches, mostly from October to March. Prevailing winds are from the Northwest. Summer days are wonderfully warm with cool summer evenings as the city experiences the coastal influences.
What does Atascadero mean… according to Chumash language, Atascadero translates into a place of much water.
Atascadero City Data
Median Household Income
- 54.5% of households are married/couple families; 45.5% are unmarried.
- The average household income is $76,995; the average disposable income is $63,465.
- The median home price value is $464,040.
- The 12 month change in Median Estimated Value is +14.1%, as of January 2017.
- The median listing price of a home for sale in Atascadero is $499,000.
- “Bedroom” Community welcoming all age groups.
- Atascadero is home for the Charles Paddlock Zoo located off of Morro Road at 9305 Pismo Avenue in association with Atascadero Lake Park.
- A short commute to San Luis Obispo, the Pacific Ocean and local Wineries