San Miguel’s history lies with the Mission San Miguel Arcángel was founded on July 25, 1797 by the Franciscan order, on a site chosen specifically due to the large number of Salinan Indians that inhabited the area. The mission remains in use as a parish church to this day. The bells were vitally important to daily life at any mission. The bells were rung at mealtimes, to call the Mission residents to work and to religious services, during births and funerals, to signal the approach of a ship or returning missionary, and at other times; novices were instructed in the intricate rituals associated with the ringing the mission bells. he Mission was a stopping place for miners coming from Los Angeles to San Francisco, and was consequently was used as a saloon, dance hall, storeroom and living quarters.
SAN MIGUEL City Data
Median Household Income
- 53.5% of households are married/couple families; 46.5% are unmarried.
- The average household income is $57,106; the average disposable income is $46,757.
- The median home price value is $298,200.
- The 12 month change in Median Estimated Value is +7.7%, as of January 2016.
- The median listing price of a home for sale in San Miguel is $325,500.
The Mission San Miguel Archangel, greets visitors and locals when they first enter from the South. There are several wineries, olive groves, local restaurants in this small quaint town which is boarded by ranches, equestrian facilities and farms. The local park maintains a community pool for people of all ages to keep cool all summer long.